Therefore, if a member dies an unnatural death while on duty, for example, is killed in a car accident while travelling from one branch to another to do an inspection, his or her beneficiary will be paid a total of R20 000 from Old Mutual on Sasbo’s behalf. All claims for funeral benefits must be accompanied by:
– Your Sasbo membership number.
– A payslip/bank statement showing payment of your union subscription.
– Original death certificate or certified copy.
– ID book of deceased.
– Claimant’s ID book.
– Marriage certificate (if claimant is a spouse).
PLUS, to claim the additional R10 000 benefit:
– A police report OR post-mortem report (original or certified copy); and
– An affidavit from your employer to prove death was in the line of duty.